Seattle to: San Francisco

Halloween in San Francisco.

I am proud to announce I have settled into San Francisco, California. A mere five months ago my imagination did not comprise of what my reality has manifested. If I am one of the few who reach the stars, grasping fully my dreams instead of remaining inert, know it began with shedding the idea of normality.

I arrived in San Francisco, California on Halloween having left Seattle, Washington two days prior. My trip was laden rich with absurdities, as I traveled aboard a Green Tortoise Bus, piloted by a lady named Paige. I spent one night in Eugene, Oregon, hometown of the lady afore mentioned. Only a true literary artesian could put that town into words. I can’t say I am prepared, but I will certainly try.

The town of Eugene reminded me slightly of my hometown of Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, in as much as they are both quaint places. Entertainment and nocturnal activities bustle not in the latter though. My only night in Eugene I saw what will probably be the greatest burlesque show of my life at a bar by the name of Luckeys. The show began and ended with a teddy bear of a man; pink, porcelain, and wielding the confidence of a superhero. The acts varied, as it was their Halloween show, and also their 14th anniversary. That night folks were taking the limit, and ignoring the shit out of it. Without a doubt, I got my five dollars’ worth.

We caught some rest at Paige’s mother house, and it was very hospitable for her to host me on such an occasion; I easily could have slept on the bus. I am thankful for the home I was able to spend the night in. Plus I got to hang out with this ultra-cool and cute dog named Bella. Prior to the burlesque show, and the resting of our eyes, there was the feasting of food. We ate at a restaurant called P.R.I. which is short for Pizza Research Institute. The pizza was extremely unique, and also delicious. I don’t quite recall the concoction Paige and her close-knit associates ordered, however I will not take this suggestion lightly: I should make it back to P.R.I. when they have the Pad Thai pizza.

I saw enough to give me a slight inkling of what life on the daily might be like for the folks of Eugene. I can honestly say it is a place I would live. It’s the biggest little city in the world, and I wouldn’t be surprised if some Oregonian eventually brought that famous sign north to where it belongs these days. A comforting place to wake up, that’s how I must describe Eugene.

Back on the road we were. Neither too late nor too early was the night at Luckeys, so the morning remained the same. We left on schedule. We would not arrive on schedule, but let me tell you a secret. That’s what the Green Tortoise Adventure Travel company is all about.

As I sit writing, the originator of that company sleeps soundly in the only other occupied room in this house. The house where I live. He is simply checking out the comfort level, so am I; it is the first night in the house for both of us. However, only I will continue my occupancy for the foreseeable future. My boss is a gracious man, and it provides a comforting faith in my employer when he is prepared to subject himself to my similar confines, even though he is not a young man anymore. There is no reason he shouldn’t have slept at his home last night, but I appreciate his company and blessing as I embark upon the next leg of my journey, which is life.

Paige, and the bus.

I digress…
We awoke. After a small breakfast and some goodbyes, Paige took her throne at the head of the bus. We were off. Now she would be ushering me into the wilderness to surmount and scale giant boulders, something I was wholly unfamiliar with up until this point. The excursion had us meeting up with a gentleman by the name of Alejandro, a friend of Paige’s, and now a friend of mine. We fuddled around in the Oregonian wood for quite some time. I observed the scaling. Titan chunks of earth domesticated by humanity. Obstacles swept aside as Paige and Alejandro surmounted mentally, and then physically. I climbed a tiny rock, claiming my small victory which I enjoyed graciously. It was a dire needed trip into the forest, and only the Green Tortoise could have provided such an extravaganza.

After the rock climbing we returned to the bus and continued for 10 more hours until we finally arrived in San Francisco. Part of that was nap time, as sleep is acclimated ever so well to the wanderlust. Paige dropped me off in front of the Green Tortoise Hostel, and I forgot to take a picture of the bus. Just like I forgot to take a picture of the bus when she picked me up. At least I was able to fuck something up on that journey.